Re: Mic pre-amp Behringer DSP-110 Shark pre-amp

Hello Pierre,

I've used the Shark--bought one about a year and a half ago. It is an
excellent quality, highly flexible unit that solves all sorts of
tricky audio problems, works as an active DI, has a top of the line
feedback exterminating circuit, and converts mic to line very
transparently. Even the power adaptor is high-quality, not just a
cheapie wall-wart. I think it'll work fine for the purpose you
describe. And it does more than what I've just described.

By the way--it converts 1/4" to XLR or XLR to 1/4" as well as mic/line
in either direction.

My application was more trying it for live (into the board) sound and
for that I'd vastly prefer the Behringer X V-Amp pedal
http://www.behringer.com/X-V-AMP/index.cfm?lang=ENG and I use a
Digitech RP-300, but that's for live use, so I didn't have a lot of
use for the Shark, so I sold it--but NOT because it didn't do
everything it said it did--it delivered all the way. It just didn't do
what I wanted.

It has a fairly heavy learning curve to sort out all that it can do
(it's a whack of problem-solvers in a single unit). not exactly
"user-friendly" but it _does_ work, and well. To my ears, it did not
sound cheap at all.

Your mileage may vary, no afficliation, etc. Hope this helps. By the
way--when I did decide to sell it, I got more than you're paying and
easily (about $70 CDN from a sound tech who now uses it all the time).

Ron/datadigr

Saturday, May 08, 2004, 11:31:12 AM, you wrote:

P> Has anyone tried this pre-amp with a harp? There is a guy selling one nearby for $50.

P> I'm not sure I like the fact that it has a DSP in it, I'm concerned it might sound cheap although it uses 24 bit converters. Would I be better off with an analog pre-amp?

P> I have a green bullit mike. I want it mostly to convert a mic signal to a line signal so I can record from my PC.

P> Thanks,

P> Pierre.

P> Link to pre-amp on web:

P> http://shop.synthplanet.com/product.lasso?pr=1086&stid=synthplanet&-Session=shop:42833B150c67429892TXh40E3681&from=