Re: Sound Blaster Live - was mini recorder

Pierre wrote:

> Vern said:
>
> > If your computer doesn't have these capabilities, your cheapest way
> to get
> > digital recording capability might be to buy the Sound Blaster card with
> the
> > software described.
> >

> I have a SoundBlaster Live card and I have tried recording and I get an
> extremely thin sound (only high frequencies). I used both the PC mic
> and my
> green bullit and its about the same. Initially I used the Mic input and
> since the sound was so bad I tried going through my son's Korg effect
> processor and went in to the PC using the line input and this was no
> better.
> Has anyone had any experience with the "Live" card? Did you get the
> similar
> result or better?
>
> Pierre
>
> PS: I am using Windows XP

The mic input on the sound card is almost guaranteed to give you subpar
results.  Unfortunately, you need a preamp of some sort to run a mic
through the line input.  You can get an inexpensive mixer or a mic
preamp for $30 - $50.  Although....the Korg effects box should put out
something close to a line level signal, so I'm not sure what's going
on.  AFAIK, the SB Live card can give acceptable but not studio quality
results as long as it gets a reasonable line level signal..  Neither the
green bullet nor the pc mic are ideal recording mics.  I've never tried
running my harp mics directly to the sound card through my cheapo mixer.

- --
Hear Barrelhouse Solly--that's me--on the web.
http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly