Re: Opinions ? Big Rivers

Steve Shaw wrote:
>>There's just something unlovable about those MS reedplates that I can't just
put my finger on. << (snip)

   I agree though at one point I thought they were my harp of choice. But I found that the reeds were just too stiff for my taste. Hard to bend, etc., and I have now gone to Special 20s. If I could afford it, I'd have one of the harp custom builders build me a sset on Special 20 frames. If I could have a Special 20 hole spacing on a Golden Melody that would be my choice though, no question. To me there is just enough difference in the spaces between holes on the GMs, that it throws my single-noting off. But the GMs are right up there with Sp20s if that doesn't bother you and the shape is perfect for holding ... or at least the older GMs were great, I don't know if they are using MS reedplates on them now or what ... If so, let the buyer beware ... But the SPecial 20s are great harps! Or at least the best out of the box I know of. And fairly durable despite the bendable reeds ... I've only blown one reed out so far ... and I blow fairly hard ... all this IMHO and with usual disclaimers, of course ... XB-40s might be my new choice, but it's too early to tell and they are way more expensive ... They also seem really big after the smaller harps ... YMMV on all this ...

Harpy Webtrails, Bob Loomis