Re: Song list

Quoting "Vincent M. Daliessio" <vdaliess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Any help with these is appreciated,

Yo Vini:

A nice trick for picking up a bunch of unfamiliar songs quickly is to do a
Google search for MIDI versions of the songs.  There are a *lot* of people who
post free MIDI files of songs on various websites.  If you've got a relatively
new computer, you probably have software (like the Windows Media Player) that
will play MIDI files for you.  The MIDI files may not be in the key your boy
is playing in, but at least you can hear how the melody and bridge sound.

Here are some tips on most of your songs:

> AIN?T MISBEHAVIN? -C

You can play this just fine in cross harp with an "F", although you've got a
tricky minor descending line in the bridge that you can probably reach with a
key of "G" harp.

> DEEP RIVER BLUES -E

Standard blues tune, your cross harp in "A" will be fine.

> DIDDIE WAH DIDDIE-C

This is another 3 chord special Leon Redbone did a nice cover of - probably
where your boy found the tune.  1st or 2nd position gets this one done.

> DOWN AND OUT-G

This is quite probably "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out".  Check the
Clapton "Unplugged" CD for a version, but cross harp in "C" will be easy.

> DON?T THINK TWICE  capo  4th fret

I think most guitarists are playing this with chord positions in the key
of "C", so if this guy is capoing up to the 4th fret with those chord forms,
it should be in "E".  Easy to play in both 1st and 2nd position once you
establish the key.

> GEORGIA-C

Check Willie Nelson's version on the CD "Stardust" to hear some *very* nice
work by harp player Mickey Raphael.  This song plays pretty easily on cross
harp, but has a descending minor figure in the bridge.  In this key you can
probably find the notes you need for the bridge on a "G" harp and the rest of
the song on an "F" played in 2nd position.

> HOOCHIE KOOTCHIE MAN-G

Cross harp special.  The Dah-DAH-dah-dah figure that drives the song is easy
to play to the point of being a cliche.  Wail away, my bruthah...

> KANSAS CITY-E

A three chord wonder most would play in cross harp and James Cotton would
probably play in 1st position.  Got an "A" harp for this?

> ME AND BOBBY  MCGEE

Snore.  Oh, 'scuse me, this song always puts me to sleep.  It's another 3
chord wonder.  1st or 2nd position, set the cruise control and go back to
sleep.

> MIDNIGHT SPECIAL-A or G

One of Leadbelly's best tunes.  3 chords, no waiting.  1st or 2nd position.
If your boy does Leadbelly's version, it will hang on the V chord for a
measure of 6/4 before going back to the I chord.  If you don't know what that
means, just pay attention to the chord changes on the very last line of the
chorus.

> ROUTE 66-G6

Your boy is playing this 'un in G, with the G6 indicating that he's doing a
jump blues or Bob Wills-type arrangement.  Relax, play this one in cross harp
and enjoy having the jazz chords underneath turn your standard blues chops
into standard jazz chops.  Remember to do your rhythm vamping on the up beats.

> SF BAY BLUES-C

Easy 2nd position, pretty cool for 1st position if you've got the chops.

> SEVENTH SON-A

Another blues standard, 3 chords, easy to play in cross harp.

> STAGOLEE

You can find this chestnut in versions by folks ranging from Fats Domino to a
nice version on the newest Taj Mahal CD.  3 chords, no waiting and no problem
on this tune.

> WALK RIGHT IN-A

Probably the 50's hit from The Seekers.  It's a I-VI-IV-V chord arrangement if
you know what that means.  If not, 1st position harp would probably be best on
this.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me on or off list if you need more
help.

Tio Ed

- --
Ed Kliman