From: owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Steve Shaw
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 4:05 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Opinions ? Big Rivers ( kind of long)

In a message dated 5/4/04 1:50:55 PM, Captron100@xxxxxxx writes:
 > Can any experienced players comment on the playability of the Big Rivers
 > and other less expensive harps?  I'd like to try 'em but am afraid of
 > experimenting because of the vast quantities of other harps available;
and also
 > because i am easy on my harps and they usually last me a long time before
(usually)
 > my 4 or 5 hole draw craps out.

   <<<< I have tried Big Rivers and, compared to my SP20s, it's no contest.
I have
worked hard on a couple of Big Rivers to try and make them play better, but
can't get them anywhere near what I get with the SP20s... That said, I know
of at least one list member who plays Big Rivers and makes them sound better
than anybody should have a right to. i don't know if he works on them, but I
would doubt stock Big Rivers could play like that........>>>>

Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp

There's just something unlovable about those MS reedplates that I can't just
put my finger on.  We don't go on much about MS plates here for reasons
someone else could possibly explain.  Apart from a C MS Blues Harp which has
served me well for years (I don't use C harps as much as some other keys) I
much prefer Special 20s, and even Lee Oskars (robust and reliable if nothing
else!).  Tuning is not a big deal, as I will always retune a new harp
anyway.

Steve Shaw

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica