Re: Opinions ? Big Rivers ( kind of long)

In a message dated 5/4/04 1:50:55 PM, Captron100@xxxxxxx writes:
> Can any experienced players comment on the playability of the Big Rivers=20
> and other less expensive harps?=A0 I'd like to try 'em but am afraid of=20
> experimenting because of the vast quantities of other harps available; and=
 also=20
> because i am easy on my harps and they usually last me a long time before=20=
(usually)=20
> my 4 or 5 hole draw craps out.
>=20
   I have tried Big Rivers and, compared to my SP20s, it's no contest. I hav=
e=20
worked hard on a couple of Big Rivers to try and make them play better, but=20=
I=20
can't get them anywhere near what I get with the SP20s... That said, I know=20
of at least one list member who plays Big Rivers and makes them sound better=
=20
than anybody should have a right to. i don't know if he works on them, but I=
=20
would doubt stock Big Rivers could play like that.=20
   My point? I think maybe someone who has learned   how to work on his own=20=
 =20
harps might make Big Rivers work for them. But that wouldn't be me.=20

As far as harps lasting a long time? I have a few custom harps and I have=20
seen the various threads here about spending the money for them.=20
Everyone has to judge for themselves about the worth, but I can tell you=20
this. Jimmy Gordon made me three harps in the fall of 1999. Special 20s. The=
 'C'=20
harp is now 4 1/2 years old and it has been played hard and I wouldn't even=20
guess how many hours. Hundreds, for sure. It might be a little out of tune,=20=
but I=20
still use it as my 'gig" harp. And the D is still good too. One reed=20
replacement on my A Gordon harp and that was my fault, playing too hard thru=
 a PA mic=20
not turned up loud enough. I think I got my money's worth.

Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp