RE: Opinions ? lee osker

Ron asks:
  Can any experienced players comment on the playability of the Big Rivers
and other less expensive harps?  I'd like to try 'em but am afraid of
experimenting because of the vast quantities of other harps available; and
also because i am easy on my harps and they usually last me a long time
before (usually) my 4 or 5 hole draw craps out.
  To me most of the LO's I've ever owned are the most responsive and
playable I have experienced.  They also seem to last longer for me.  If they
were tuned to Just Intonation like Hohner Special 20's, i might entirely
switch from my usual SP20's to LO's.  I say "might" because of the LO's
inability to overbend well.  As it is, when the LO's sound is (or gets) too
objectionable, i retune to make them sound sweeter.
  I'd love to be able to get away with cheaper harps, but I don't want to
gamble that they would not be quality instruments and a waste of money for
me.  So i just stick to my SP20's.
  I look fwd to someone enlightening me to the contrary.
ron

Caveat: This is just one ~intermediate~ players opinion - not an expert's,
and not an unassailable one. YMMV!

Lee Oskars last FOREVER. Their plastic mouthpieces make them more
comfortable (than some) to play, but I don't care for their covers (I say
that about ~almost ALL~ diatonics, though). I have Lee Oskars (that get
played) that are 6-7 years old!

Special 20s SOUND better (to this biased blues player) due to their
intonation. See below...

Big Rivers are the CHEAPEST way to buy MS reedplates - and you get a plastic
comb & MB-shaped cover in the deal!
Big Rivers are:
- -a little less consistent than S20s, in terms of reed set-up, etc., in my
experience.
- -not quite as warm/full-sounding as a S20, due to their MS-style intonation.
- -MUCH longer-lasting than a MB, IMO, due to the plastic comb
- -WELL WORTH the $
- -not the ultimate out-o-the-box harmonica, BUT...If you can adjust a reed,
check for leaks (micropore), tweak the tuning - and you prefer a "vintage" -
style harmonica (slightly LARGER than a MB or S20), they're a bargin!

AND -Keith Dunn & Paul deLay play them - that's a powerful endorsement, IMO.

I like my STOCK Big Rivers for playing loud
Bluegrass/Old-Time/Country/Hillbilly music with string bands. The MS
'Modified', or 'compromised Just intonation' (Pat? What's it called?) seems
to be generally less out-of-tune with Mandos, Banjos, & Gee-Tars than 12TET
or the "HM version of Just".

(But I far prefer my S20s w/ Turbo-Lids for MOST diatonic playing...)
- -Scorcher