Re: busking

Well, busking in USA maybe different of Ireland, but when I read you all, I feel that it is the same.

I do not agree completely about the place's importance. Of course, you need to get a place where there are plenty of people, but you can tell the other people that you made money, I think, becuase it is not the plce who gives the coins, it is the people! And if people like your stuff, they give you some money. A guy can be at the best place ever, if He is doing the wrong stuff, the crew won't like him.

I remember my first day in Galway: I managed to get ?90 in an afternoon. Then, I came talking with other buskers. Some are nice guys, some a Fuc...g bast..ds!!! One of the Bast..ds, I found him at the place I was, the following day. When I arrived, He took an agressive smile meaning "I got your place and I'am not gonna leave it to you!".

I was pretty angry. But one of the other busker Emmanuel, a very nice guy, told me and explained to me that's was life. And that, moreover, thought the guy's attitude was not very nice, the place was not mine at all (which is tottally true), and that if I wanted to play music, nothing could avoid me to do: "just stand and play then" Emmanuel said. If people like your music, they will give you money anyway. That's not just a matter of place. It is like saying that you can not play well because you do have good gear or because the weather is not good in Russia or because whatever reason. If you want to play, you will!"

I think that Emmanuel is right in that sense. I took his advice, and I did what He told me: just stand up and play. the place I was, then, did not have the reputation to be a good one. I say did not, because nowadays, some people are fighting to get it!!

Meanwhile, buskers are like the fishers if you see what I mean: the fish they catch is always the biggest and bigger than other fisher's. At the end of a day of busking, if you talk with other buskers, you will always find a guy saying "You got only 250 bucks?? I had 500 just for that afternoon!!!".

Anyway, busking is like life. Everybody have his/her own experiences, good and bad, his/her great times and his/her worse times...

Then, nobody can tell how is city or a place or what is really a busker life. I can only say: THAT'S LIFE!

If you want to have an advice on a town, you do not have enough of your life to make it. And what have been bad for some can be good for you!

Froggy

James Thurgood <thurgood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And furthermore: if you find a good location, and are making good coin,
do not - I repeat - DO NOT - tell your musician "friends" about it. And
if you are in, say, Halifax, Nova Scotia, do not head down to your favourite
watering-hole after a successful day and pay for rounds with fistsful of US
dollars. Not unless you want to show up next day at your el primo spot
and find one of your pals sitting there as if he owns the place, playing
music
you don't like. Rather, if you sense curiosity about your income, turn
your gaze morosely down to the puddle on the table, shake your head, move
your lips as if trying to speak, then shake your head again, and say
nothing.
Someone might even buy you a drink.

And if you ain't doing it for the money, don't do it, says me. Let the guys
who need the dough get it.

- - thurg

> [...]
>
> > Try to work up a little patter to soften people up. My approach was
> > to try to be humorous, but what's important that you sound natural and
> > convey the idea that you would be grateful if people made a voluntary
> > contribution. Always thank people. You should make a sign with safe
> > contact info on it if you're interested in playing private parties or
> > whatever. Use something fairly large as a money receptacle--you want
> > to make it easy for people to part with it. If you're having a good
> > day, periodically stash some of your take.
>
> Excellent. Just like gambling, keep some money in each pocket, and
> occasionally "skim"
>
> > You don't want potential paying customers to think you've made
> > enough already, and you don't want less friendly people to think you
> > might be convinced to make a donation to them.
>
> Yes, BIG problem. Street people don't car WHO they get money from,
> even if it's "Other" street people (of whom, you ARE one on this
> particular day).
> > If you can, start out with a dollar bill and some change in the
> > receptacle. It helps people to see what's an appropriate donation.
>
> Yes, that's called "salting". You start by tossing some of your OWN
> change in the pot.
> >
> > That said, don't expect to make a living at it. I had a good time
> > playing, met some interesting people, played some good parties, and
> > developed my skills (such as they are) in interacting with an
> > audience.
>
> Busking Pittsburgh: No matter WHAT corner you choose, you WILL be
> hassled by the police. You are considered a. disorderly conduct b.
> excessive or "unnecessary" noise c. loitering d. promoting a nuisance
> e. obstruction of traffic (pedestrian) f. distraction to drivers, etc.
>
> Busking Philadelphia: Same as above PLUS the lights go out. Some
> people think it's fun to whack someone when they aren't looking.
>
> Busking Toronto: good spot,
>
> Busking Nola (N'Orleans): good spot. no police hassle. good tourist
> traffic. bigger "pot". Some problem areas:
> 1. lots of scum-bag locals. 2. too many people trying to bum money from
> YOU. 3. It's THEIR town (and they let you know it). Jackson Square,
> while the best location, is also loaded with OTHER buskers. There's
> mechanical Robot Men, young boys break dancing, musicians of every
> description, magicians, fortune tellers, you name it.
>
> Conclusion: Isn't San Diego a little HOT?
> ...........................................smo-joe
> >
> > --
> > Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the web.
> > That's me.
> > http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly
> > --
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 22:09:22 +0200 (CEST)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Nicolas=20Fouquet?=
> Subject: Re: XB40 Maintenance Issues
>
> - --0-1514173846-1083614962=:75300
>
> Hey Will,
>
> ICan't tell you anything about the XB40, but anyway, gapping and replacing
reeds are a very little deal once you have the tools ($100 maximum for the
whole bunch of tools) and to invest in these tools really worth it!!!

> Froggy
>
> Will Vogtman wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've just ordered an XB40. It's not here yet, but I'm quite anxious to
try it.

> I am a little worried, though.
>
> What if I get hooked on the thing and it goes south?
>
> Will there be replacement reed plates, or am I doomed to hours of gapping
and tuning 40 reeds as opposed to 20?

> If I break a reed will I have to learn how to replace individual reeds/buy
a whole new harp?

> Any ifo would be appreciated.
>
> Will
>

> - ---------------------------------
> Do you Yahoo!?
>
> - ---------------------------------
> Yahoo! Mail : votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout !
> Créez votre Yahoo! Mail
>
> Dialoguez en direct avec vos amis grâce à Yahoo! Messenger !
> - --0-1514173846-1083614962=:75300
>
> Hey Will,

> ICan't tell you anything about the XB40, but anyway, gapping and
replacing reeds are a very little deal once you have the tools ($100 maximum
for the whole bunch of tools) and to invest in these tools really worth
it!!!

> Froggy

Will Vogtman

- ---------------------------------

> Do you Yahoo!?
href="http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/hotjobs/hotjobs_mail_signa
ture_footer_textlink/evt=23983/*http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/careerm
akeover">Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at Yahoo! HotJobs

> Yahoo! Mail : votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout !

href="http://fr.rd.yahoo.com/mail/taglines/*http://fr.rd.yahoo.com/mail/mail
_taglines/default/*http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/";>Créez votre Yahoo!
Mail

/mail_taglines/default/*http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com/";>Yahoo! Messenger