Hustling in New Orleans; was Busking

Somebody wrote:
"Busking Nola (N'Orleans): good spot. no police hassle. good tourist
traffic. bigger "pot". Some problem areas:
1. lots of scum-bag locals. 2. too many people trying to bum money from
YOU. 3. It's THEIR town (and they let you know it). Jackson Square,
while the best location, is also loaded with OTHER buskers. There's
mechanical Robot Men, young boys break dancing, musicians of every
description, magicians, fortune tellers, you name it."

Since New Orleans is kind of a second home for me, I've got to lay down a
little perspective for you--because it's sadly lacking in your snide remarks.

"Problem areas?"  Let's start there.  New Orleans itself is a "problem area,"
and a stone's throw away from Jackson Square there is poverty that would be
astonishing to you.  Worse than some "3rd world" countries I've worked and
travelled in.  So when you say "lots of scum-bag locals," I take very serious
offense.  First off, the "scum-bag" remark is disgusting.  You better walk over to
the Fifth Ward, or, if you've got a halfway decent throwing arm, fire off a
stone, follow it, and you'll find the poverty I mentioned.

 So the mean old "scum-bags" are trying to bum money from poor little YOU?
Why the hell shouldn't they?  1.  They probably made you for an easy mark from
1000 yards away.  2.  They hustle to survive--with very few other choices
available to them.  3.  You're god-damn right it's "their town," and why the hell
shouldn't they let you know it?  Considering that Jackson Square is where
slaves gathered to create the amazing drum-beats that gave us jazz, R&B, etc.,
they've got something to be proud of.  And why cry for pity about "other"
buskers?  Did they score more change than you did?

Last: I'm not sure what's so disturbing to you about break-dancers, or
"mechanical Robot Men..."  Are you as good a harp player as they are Robot Men?  On
the street, everyone's an equal carny in the Circus of Survival--in America,
it used to be known as "democracy" until quite recently.  So I'd ask you to
think hard the next time you casually flip the bird to the "scum-bags of New
Orleans."  Either that, or stay off their turf.

Peace and respect
Johnny T