Re: Tone

> Eric asks:
> Hi.  Lately I've managed to create a really
> nice blusey tone on all of my draw notes by, I
> believe, flailing my asophogus.(sp?)  I've been
> trying to find a way to recreate such a tone on
> my blow notes, but I have so far been
> unable to.  I tried to make the R tounge flutter
> sound but I found that I can't even do that
> correctly.  So, any tips for improving the sound
> of blow notes?

You can really fatten up the tone of your blow
notes by using the "tongue slap" technique. Using
your tongue block technique you start the note with
tongue off the harp, then slap it over the lower 2
or 3 holes--just for a milisecond--leaving the
desired note to sound.

You get an-almost chord sound for a fraction of a
second followed by the note your after. There are
many variations on this (tongue lift, sweep,
flutters, octave slap, etc.) that add even more
bluesy spice to your tone.

You can use this technique on both blow and draw
notes.

Good Luck!

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens