Re: Re : Busking

I forgot to tell something important to Scorcher: mind your throat. So, bring with you a bottle of tea, or coffee to be able to not ruin your throat while playing.

I had no clue about that when I arrived in Ireland by 2°Celcius below Zero. Now, I know!!!!

Good Luck.

Forggy

<party_man1@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Scorcher Asked :

Excerpt .

>Anybody with some busking experience care to share some advice?

Hurricane sez :

Being able to entertain a crowd solo with harmonica is a true test for the entertainer , its a super challenge , it sets apart the talent from the Gong Show's gonged out wanna bees .

What is significant of those who were ( are ) successful at it , is they all have one big thing going and that's a super " personality " , meaning a genuine individual character difference . Like Jack Benny in the old days being so cheap . Bob Hope , he would crane his neck and try pulling on his shirt's collar as if it was too tight while looking nervous over a situation . Old time Blue Grass & Country Western dudes would do a little choreography like John Hartford ( Gentle On My Mind ) , he was a dancer with his fiddle on his shoulder or banjo around his neck hanging as he played .

A harmonica is no different , just a different set of circumstances that need to be realized and compensated over that's all , and there in lies the genius needed to " get over " and win the audience to your side and make them somehow identify with you on a personal basis like a friend would .

Deford Bailey was a shoe shine man , I bet anything he used his harp during the day to attract potential customers , and then had a series of vocal " hooks " and facial expressions plus some rhythmic hand jive to use as he did his work sans playing his harp on the client he serviced and left with a great shoe shine and maybe a greater melody and or a song in the heads and hearts that lasted much longer than the shoe shine . You have to make it memorable and your individuality is the catylist needed in the prosess . Do that , and like Deford and others do or did , and people will want to see you again and again .

These people not only entertained while playing a harmonica , in between the songs they would spin the proverbial " thread " , that like in a weavers loom adds up in the final end a completed rug or tapestry . A live show , a movie , a song , a joke or even a book all share one thing in common and that is they ave " a beginning , a mid point , and then a conclusion . Remember that in every song , joke , story and expression you use .

The most critical part of this type of entertaining is to hold the audience's " attention " after you finished a song as well as when your playing it .

Some use a facial expressions that is /are unique i.e. ever watch Lyle Lovette when he first broke in on the music scene nation wide on TV ? . He was getting over as a solo entertainer alone with his guitar long before he got into his " large band " persona . Lyle would do these un real facial expressions between and during a song as he strummed his guitar when there was no singing that made it impossible to not remember who he was .

Many old time harmonica men used the old hand wash board as a time keeper so they sounded full when they stopped playing their harmonica and sang .

You have to realize a physical " hook ( & verbal ) like Rodney Dangerfield , he was always grabbing and readjusting his neck tie between and during the " No Respect " hooks after and during telling a joke .

Doesn't make a difference if its the harmonica or a fiddle or even stand up comedy , if you don't verbally make contact with who your in front of , you don't go over period . The things you say and do physically to make them laugh and relax make it happen when you play so your remember and then you got em !

I used to say this almost all the time when I did a solo thing as well as when I had a band behind me . It went like dis :

" I was worried for a while , yeah , I was feeling really bad for awhile , but , I am O.K. now , but this morning " ---- ad lib ----- begin next song or

" Wow your a really nice crowd you are ( or person ) you make me feel really relaxed and at ease - - short pause with a harp lick or two , then knodding with a smile to the crowd or person and segue into - -,

- - - the last place I played at was really a tuff crowd man , I mean really violent types came in this club , mean looking , scary people , father rapers and mother stabbers , in fact , when you came in the door of the club the bouncers would check you for guns thoroughly , and , if you didn't have one , - - They gave you one ! (- Rim shot and drum roll -) ..........

or , if you have a detractor in the audience , " keep that up , and I will take you out side and let you kick my @$$ ......rim short and start blowing your harp ..............

Its all in the fact that it has to be " personal " , to everyone there , they ( he /she ) , have to feel like you were directly relating to them on a one on one basis , no matter the size of the crowd ---- 1 to 1000 ---- .

Ah hasss mo hooks , lotsa mo of dem , but , I ain'ta gonna tella yous nope , nope , ah jess ain't a gonna tella yous and dats dat .

Sincerely :

HR

Aka :

Part_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx