Re: Busking

Well, Scorcher, glad to know that you are interested in busking. I have been busking when I was in Ireland (9 month) so I think I can help you.
I had only my harmonicas. Nothing else. No vocals, no guitars, no stomps...

Well, first of all, you have to try several place to find the good compromise between the sound and the crew (because without crew, you don't get money). then, you must play loud enough to be heard but not to much to not annoy the stores around and the other buskers.
Ask to the store before, if you can play in front of their store may be a good idea.

Play at a place where people can see you from far away. Like that, they can prepair their money.

If you play harmonica, some harmonica are more powerful outside than others. Tremolo harps are very good, particularly the Hohner Golden Melody Tremolo.

Whatever harp you play, you should put a bit a vaseline on the mouthpiece, particularly with harmonica with a wide mouthpiece, this to avoid lips hurts and bleeding. Bleeding is not really a prob, but the blood stikcs after a while so you can not play, and after 1 or 2 days, it is very painfull.

Play your back close to a wall gives a good reverb. Put you hat or whatever you use to get the money about 1and a half yard in front of you.

Always smile! Winkle to young kids! Be smart with the girls, and then you gonna have a lot of fun.

Play for a longtime: I mean, repeat the same song all the time if you want, or put all your songs together. Irish music is great for busking.

Whatever you do, do it. I mean, even if you do a mistake, a wrong note, don't care about it. People are just walking and passing by the street. So, they may not hear your mistakes.
Also, because people are not coming to see a performance, you have a very limited time to catch their attention!!

While play, if you have your eyes opened, fix and invisible point. Don't fix a person.

You need to put some money yourself, at the beginning, into your basket. Put something like 2 or 3 or your highest value coins and one of two liittle bank-notes.

When you are beggining to get a lot of money ($ 80), take some off your basket, that if the thieve take you hat, you do not lose a lot.

Be nice withy the other buskers. There is a kind of hierarchy and frienship. When have finished to busk, you can give a coin to some other busker to keep good relations.

If you re playing at a place, do not monopolise it!

If you are playing in big cities, beware the mafia. Once, I've been busking in London's underground tub. Then, a big strong fat huge guy from the mafia came to collect our money. I have manage to escape without giving any coin, but I won't play anymore at that place: to risky!!

Put you in front of sote that you know that the people will go out with cash in their hands: coffe-shop, pubs, bakeries. You can also ask for a chair or a sit to these store. At the end, you will bring back the sit to that pub or bakery or buy them a pint or a cake. That help to keep good relations.

Mind your gear. DO not play amplified. People like unplugged sessions. Or if you are amplified, play very softly!

Well, that's al that I remember right now.

Keep me in touch about your busking and your experiences.

Froggy

Scorcher <scorcher@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Was just thinkin' again about other ways to "polish my craft", and listening
to a little Satan & Adam.

Is busking "a good thing", barring paying gigs & friendly jams? Can one busk
solo?

I've been thinkin' about it, but I'm not sure how to approach it (not even
sure I WANT to...).

Anybody with some busking experience care to share some advice? I'm
interrested in the where/when/what(tunes)/who (with or without an
accompanist?)/why(why not?) and any other advice either for or against.
- -Scorcher

Nicolas Fouquet
Frog's Workshop
'Makes ya feel great!