RE: "magic box"

> Richard J. Smith wrote:
> "I'm interested in the Holmes 'HARP COMMANDER', but the price is
> absolutely outrageous.

I can see both sides of this issue. Compare a Harp Commander to a POD or
V-Amp on a feature/dollar basis and it doesn't seem like you are getting
much for your money. I would further argue the overall quality to be high
for all the items. For someone of limited funds (read: a musician) this can
be very frustrating.

The difference between a Harp Commander and a POD is a matter of scale. All
that stuff that has the great bang-for-the buck appeal is guitar equipment.
And like it or not there are many thousands of electric guitarists for every
amplified harp player. I would venture that if Mr. Holmes had a market as
big as for guitar gear, he'd redesign for mass-production, sell a million of
'em, and retire next year. As it is, he has every right to price his product
to maximize his profit vs time/effort.

I once marketed a computer SCSI interface adapter of my own design at a
rock-bottom price. I learned my lesson well. Were I to do it again, I'd
charge MUCH more and sell fewer. Folks that pay $x.xx require the same level
of support that the folks who pay 10x. What price would you charge if you
were committed to backing up your product and knew a customer's call could
pull you away from a family dinner or the best part of a movie?

There's an urban legend about Edison being hired to diagnose a vibration in
a generator. After studying the machine for some time, and making a few
measurements, he drew an X on a flywheel, and instructed the company to
remove metal from the flywheel at his mark and all would be well.

The bill arrived, for $10,000. The outraged customer asked for an itemized
breakdown. Edison sent another invoice:

Chalk Mark                           $1.00
Knowing where to put chalk mark:     $9,999

Paul