Re: Super 64 - larry adler

Go to that page and listen: it worth it!!!!!

http://www.backbenderrecords.com/CDpage.htm , and then, click on any of Dennis CD and listen to the MP3!!!!

The best of the best chromatic I have ever heard!!

Froggy

Mark Crowley <Mark.Crowley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Honest to god, I walked into a music store last night to order a Golden melody for overblows.

but...

They had a sale on chroms - a super 64 at $70 less than normal price.

Since my CX12 have always been eager to see what a 16 holer is like -

there was really no choice in the matter- five mins later i was financially much poorer and on the top level of the covered carpark - carpark reverb beats bathroom reverb hands down - bring it on- meters and all.

anyway, i luv the size and weight of this thing - it's great and feels like a 'real' harmonica - i was expecting a poorer quality in airtightness but this seems great - the top hole draw was easier than the cx12 - tongue effects and slaps sound much more "wow" as well ( i guess some chrom players might be cringing at that prospect)

the mouth piece is much better - nothing beats kissing polished metal .

but ....

octaves... what the hell?

can't get your mouth over the thing like the CX12 :(

this seemed a disaster - the protruding contour of the mouthpiece seemed to be pushing you further away from making a seal across an octave...

the best way i could get them is to gently rest my teeth over that mouthpiece and relax my mouth more.

by midnight i was 'comfortably' octaving up and down the scale but i still feel am not getting that seal that the cx12 affords - now i know what G meant when he said the cx 12 was causing some irritating jaw pain- he had the reverse problem.

had to drop by another store and there was a larry adler cd in a bargain bin outside for a couple of bucks

while i had heard of the guy - had never actuall heard him.

I put the cd on - picture of him in a fancy dinner suit and a lit candlelabra in the background - don't get too angry with me but I was expecting some elevator schmaltz with violins and guff -

my god,

there's more bends in a couple of his songs than on entire blues albums i got.

some of the intros alone... and the effects -

i was lucky to be able to chicken-pick out one single bar of some of the tracks

it's pretty humbling - listening to it twice through - thinking all yu can do is sit there in the dark pressing the slide button in and out while trying figure what the hell he is doing

i still couldn't figure out what key he was playing for 'blues in the night' and 'summertime' - i have no idea whether he was switching keys or whatever he was doing but while I could seem to play along with the accompanying band i definitely wasn't 'with' larry at all.

its very magic stuff.

I actually only 'know' about three scales along the chrom so its time to get them all down if anything is to happen i guess.

before dragging to bed i surfed and found some great stories - one from doug Tate on how he made a metal body mod for larry so some of his harmonicas would last longer - one from winslow who asked larry whether he had removed the valves to make some of the wild bends he had done on higher notes.

the old fox answers winslow with something like: "I might have"

:)

good answer.

from these tracks he sounds as 'bad' as any blues dog i ever heard - those bends, good god.

when you are beginning chrom, nobody i know -personally - ever talked about bends like that - i remember some bluesdogs at one pub arguing whether chrom could bend at all - and why would you ever bother trying to play a chrom at all -

:)

crowley

Créez votre Yahoo! Mail

- --