RE: Positions

hi lee,

go to  mike will's diatonic reference site - there's 2 great html tables there - one shows a correlation between harp key, position and music key.

The other table displays the Position designation of tonic note on the harmonica.

Print them both off, paste them back to back and run them thru a laminator.

That little chart has pride of place in my harmonica box as it's allowed me to jam along with other musicians that I never would have been able to play along with before.

It even labels the positions 1 to 6 with appropriate modes..

This little chart saves you the embarrassment of stumbling thru a bar with every harmonica in your box when the folk you're playing with can only call the letter of the key as they don't know the mode themselves.

thanks to mike will.

crowley

>>> Chris Michalek <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/20/04 07:13 AM >>>

There is no definitive online resource for how to play positions and
I don't think there really needs to be one. To effectivly play in
other positions in one needs to have rudimentary knowledge of music
theory.  Once you have your down nailed down then you should be able
to pick a tonic note and play whatever you want.