Re: Egg-static ceramic harp mics on Ebay

Harpmac01@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hey,
> Have any of you cats or kitties tried one of these?  They're only $20, and
> look like they're smaller than even the Shaker mics, probably weightless.
> I've been toying with the idea of getting one, but would like to hear some
> opinion(s) on their tone.  They sure are cute little things....
>
> Hambone
>

> hi,
> hey if these little thangs ain't no good i bet they make great salt and
> pepper shakers!
>
> mac

Look like tea balls to me.  If you have a source for crystal elements
you can probably make one for under $10.  Mouser and other electronic
supply houses sell the elements.

If you have an element for a JT-30 or something that size, another
option is PVC pipe fittings.  I made a mic a couple of weeks ago with an
element from a tape recorder mic I bought on Ebay. I didn't shop around,
so I ended up spending almost $5.00 for the coupling and end cap I
needed.  If you can do very basic soldering--pretty much the limit of my
technique--a project like this is very quick and easy.

- --
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the web.
That's me.
http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly