re: Harp Rack (alternative solution)

regarding alternatives to wearing a rack:

I have had good results with a drummer's cymbal boom stand.
They are much sturdier than most mike stands. Try the "double-braced" type
for best results. If you know a drummer who is an equipment junkie, perhaps he
will just give you an old one. Worst case, you can get a decent one for
<$100 at
Guitar Center, etc.

I made up a "front-end" for the thing that holds a ten-hole
diatonic on one side, and a tremolo harp on the other side. I can switch
between
the two harps, as long as I switch strategically, between verse/chorus etc.

I made my "front-end" up with as little material as possible hanging down
under the harps.
All the springs and screws are on top. This allows me to also use a regular
neck rack
with the stand, for a total of three harps.
So, for example, I can play straight diatonic for the verse, Paddy Richter
cross harp
  for the bridge, and wail on the tremolo for the chorus.

The "dual front-end" is a vee shape, to minimize the amount of motion
required to switch between harps.

For a pretty good "cupped mike" sound:
Find a piece of thin leather as wide as the harp, and about as long.

Wrap it around the front of the harp in a "C" shape,
tuck the ends into the rack when you clamp the harp in.

The "C" should be large enough at the bass end to hold a mike (or mike
element).
I use a ~1 inch diameter crystal element. The "C" tapers down to almost
nothing at the treble end of the harp.

It's not airtight but I don't think it has to be. I'm not sure how those folks
with airtight cups manage to push any air through the harp anyway...

Hope this verbal description is adequate. One of these days I'll put up
some pictures and
maybe even some sound clips.