Absolute beginner tips

In a message dated 3/15/04 12:37:27 PM, paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx =
writes:

  have you any tips for a mature absolute beginner with NO musical =
experience.

Here's a tip, don't sweat the small stuff.  Here's some small stuff =
you'll run into,

Most of the stock harps you buy will have at least one sticky, messed up =
reed.  That means you'll
have to pull off the cover plates, remove the reedplates from the comb, =
and keep track of several itsy bitsy
tiny little screws. As soon as you tell yourself not to drop the screws, =
one of them will hit the carpet.
If it's a brand new harp there's a 99% chance you'll never see it again. =

 Amps, mic's, pedals, PA's etc.. After a while you'll begin to play =
amplified.  When your gear is first set up
all the cords will be neatly separated.  When it's time to pack up and =
go home all the cords and wires
will somehow have twisted and tangled into a massive knot so complex it =
would impress a merchant seaman.
You'll see triple and quadruple grannies, dutra double loop knots, =
reversed half hitches, and eight sided inverts.=20
All cords and wires will be involved, even those originally secured on =
both ends.  I'm not sure how this happens, but=20
I know people are looking into it.

There will be times when you have to locate a harp very quickly in a =
live playing situation.  It will usually be dark
and time will be of the essence, as the crowd and your bandmates will be =
waiting on you. As you frantically rifle=20
through your harp case you'll find that the harp you need will ALWAYS be =
the last one you pick up.=20
I'm not sure why this is, but I'm pretty sure people are looking into =
this too.

If you can make it through these, and a few more, hurdles you just might =
fall in love with this intsrument, I know
I have.  =20

OK, on to your question,  If I were to start all over again today, the =
first thing I'd do is find a slow and easy 12 bar blues track.  I'd =
spend the first month playing the 2nd position I IV V root notes along =
with the track, while working on my tone and timing.  By the end of the =
month you'll have a solid base to work from.  I've run into many 1 year =
plus players who still don't have the above basics down.  Try it and =
you'll be ahead of schedule.

As a first book I recommend Jon Gindicks Rock'n Blues Harmonica.  It's =
user friendly, very easy to understand, and fun
to use.  When you're ready to dig deeper go with David Barrett's Chicago =
Blues Harp.  Portnoys Masterclass is excellent too, but will set you =
back about seventy bucks (US). If you have any questions, feel free to =
ask away.

Here's a few links.

http://www.harmonicalessons.com/

http://www.gindick.com/