Re: Subject: new bassman ltd

On Mar 2, 2004, at 11:10 AM, Smith, Richard wrote:

> Thank-you Smo-Joe:
> You make some good points.

  Oh gee Rich, I don't know as they are good points, maybe just
different views.

>   I'm a "newbie" at this, having been playing
> the Diatonic Harmonica only for about 10 months now.  So far I've only
> played acoustically.

  Yes, I remembered you mentioning this a couple months ago.

>  I have not yet bought a special Harp Amp or a
> Harp Mic to play amplified.

   Me neither.

>   I've been playing guitar for 35 years, so
> I've accumulated a lot of amps, pa's, microphones, and other gear.

  Probably some choice stuff which is no longer available.

> I've played through my Shure SM-58 and my small Champ 12, but that's
> all.
> My point is that I don't have a lot of money to throw around trying
> this
> amp and that amp or mic.

  I, on the other hand, can afford anything I want, BUT am too cheap to
experiment.

>   So I'm interested in knowing other harpers'
> opinions about what sounds good to them.  I'm not necessarily a
> "gearhead",
> I'm just inexperienced, and I just don't want to waste money.

   Yes, I understand FULLY, and you are so correct.

>   So please
> have some patience with the neophytes.

  I have the patience of a saint. That's why I posted what I did. I'm on
your side, believe me. This is why I stated that sometimes the
older/more established/more famous/better (pick one) players tend to
forget that everyone on the list is not as experienced. Hell, I'm not
experienced either.
  The only problem I can see with asking about the amps & mikes is that
one will tell you the "Tweed" does this, another will say the "Sonny
Jr". does that, a third will say his "Re-issue" whatchamacallit will
blow em all away and etc. One person will swear by a JT-30, another
won't use anything BUT a SHURE, one will use a Senheiser, another likes
crystal, another likes ceramic, some like the old ribbons.

  I'm just saying the best thing to do is try out a bunch of stuff (I
don't know exactly how you would do this). You would want to try this
stuff out in a PLAYING situation.

  In MY case, I will be leaving for Pittsburgh in a couple days. The
wife has serious business there and I am along for the ride. I have a
couple engagements worked out  at the Pgh Jazz Society and will be
using sound systems about which I haven't the foggiest notion. I am
taking a Peavey mike and harmonicas and that's it.

  Lately I have been jotting down what amps the various bands have been
using and all I have come up with is "bewilderment". So I feel as you
do, ask around BUT go and try them for yourself..........smo-joe

> Richard J. Smith, R.A.

  My original message: