advice on setting the right atmosphere for a private party

Hi,

We were glad to get a surprise adult birthday party for someone turning 50. Kind of a swanky place in Newport Beach. We are a little nervous figuring out if we should be background music for conversation, kick ass show band or try to get a bunch of possibly up tight professional people dancing with a snowball like a 5th grade cottillion get together.

Any ideas on how to make this successful is appreciated. The hostess is unsure of what to expect in terms of the crowd attitude and participation. We would like to blend in when appropriate but also demonstrate what our group can do in terms of providing a really fun dance atmosphere. However this group may feel awkward in anything more expressive than foot tapping. There will be a few party animals but mostly conservative adults.

The hostess has also given us permission to leave our cards and flyers etc. for marketing. We are hoping to do well with this crowd for the future.

Advice appreciated.

Doc

- --
Dennis "Doc" Alters