Re: Playing by Ear

I can't comment on making no mistakes playing by ear although that's a good
goal to aim for. But I do play by ear and mistakes are what I learn from more
than anything else when it comes to "mapping" the melody in my head. Mistakes
are instructive. I also find that humming, singing or whistling the melody is
very valuable for imprinting the melody map in your consciousness so that it's
readily available to reproduce when you play your instrument, whatever it may
be. Even if it's a familiar tune, listen to it again and hear it anew, then
hum the melody while it's fresh in the mind so that it resonates in your head.
Then play by ear from memory and you're less likely to make mistakes -- if you
make a mistake, sing or hum it again. Works for me, but mistakes come with the
territory and shouldn't be a concern. They get worked out eventually.

T. Albanese