5 minutes a Day!

I have been drawn into this post and have found it very curious.

Harp playing for myself is a direct line to the Blues which is where my
music has almost always resided. The harp is a unique instrument in so
many ways - so personal, very close as it is a wind instrument, so
emotional with bends, so lively and bright in the treble end, so
versatile and compact and easy to transport. When I was in my teens I
met Canadian dudes all over Australia who could whip out a harp and
produce so much energy and fun - I couldn't resist - I was hooked! The
guitar went home on a train and I hitched around with those 20 notes in
my hip pocket. I literally sucked and blowed between rides, jobs and
meals...

What actually drove me was not science or a deep mental state of
needing to aspire to anything in particular - it was just the fun and
great sound that makes the harp what it is. I had never heard of the
Walters - maybe Sunny Boy and a few white dudes like John Mayal... but
harmonica was so portable and so much bang for the buck (it still can't
be beaten!)

Today after over 35 years of playing I struggle to play 5 minutes a day
- - but I get 3 hours a week with my band rehearsals plus gig time when
we do the live thing - which is not as often as it used to be here in
Brisbane Australia as venues (and audiences) seem to have turned away
from the blues...

Back to 5 minutes a day. If it is a grind and not fun... don't do it.
If you have to play it - wherever and whenever you can - do it every
day.

I personally found practicing alone difficult but we didn't have the
net - Sony walkmans (tape decks weren't too reliable or portable -
forget reel to reel) so it really was "Fly Fly Floozie..." over and
over again until I was able to manage jamming with second instruments.
Now with backing tracks so freely available in almost any key or style
from the web it would be very easy to eat up 5 minutes every day...

My point I guess is that you really have to enjoy the harp to get the
discipline to make the 5 minutes every day - but if you do get into it
there is no doubt that once you get the buzz of playing with other
people, then audiences (large or small) the drug called "performance"
takes over... and really it all starts with that 5 minutes every day!!!!

Cheers - Ian Wilks