RE: Five Minutes/day

It works.

As Steve Shaw said (and many others have intimated)... (paraphrase) don't
give the excuses that you are only an amateur, you don't need it
etc.   That's not what this is about. It is about people who are interested
in progressing... note, I didn't say fast or to pro level or anything like
it... progressing.  It is particularly useful for people who really do have
little time, but it is also a small discipline which leads to larger
disciplines if you are one of those people who daydream your way through a
'practice'.

It works in almost any discipline ... write for 10 mins per day with a
specific goal, exercise your spine for 3 mins a day for extra suppleness,
eat one slice of toast less per day for slow weight loss...

The three important factors are:-

Aim ... Set an achievable small goal
Regularity ... A set time length in a set time period of each day
Concentration ... Keep your mind on the goal

Aim might be as small as 'getting a smoother transition from 6B to 7D'

Regularity means setting an achievable set of time slots of the same length
throughout the week. (where your personal timetable will not allow the SAME
time each day)

Concentration.  It is actually quite hard to work in a concentrated manner
with real, critical, listening to what you are doing for five minutes.
Luckily, as you get better at it you find you can concentrate well for
longer periods.  In fact you will find it difficult to stop at five
minutes! Discipline yourself and go on to something different.

One of the great spinoffs from this, so far as I am concerned, is that it
helps make you more aware of how you do the rest of your workouts!

Yes, if you really want to progress to the heights ( or even the semi
heights) you won't do it on 5 mins a day, you need longer... but NOT
DEEPER!  The great players on all instruments/voice work for long hours
with depth of concentration.   To try and avert a storm of protest about
'natural' musicians I must also say that the really greats don't phone in
performances... each one is a learning and VERY concentrated learning and
exploring process... in whatever genre.

Do I do it? I haven't for a long time but I will be getting back to it.  As
a late starter (I got my first harmonica from a trash can at age 17.5) I
would PLAY an hour or so before I went to work (after a year I did this bit
on a silent harmonica), during morning 'tea' breaks (10 mins twice a day),
during my lunch hour (about 40 mins), about an hour after my evening meal
before I went to tech college and up to an hour when I got back before
going to bed. Then at weekends I would work most of the day from about 8am
to 6-7 in the evening with meal breaks and church break on Sunday.
(couldn't afford to do anything else as an apprentice :)))  It was a couple
of years of a zigzag course through learning and finding out about the
chromatic before I found I could get further and progress faster by aiming
at goals rather than thrashing through piles of music. But, I had developed
some Governor of California playing muscles in that time!! Speed only came
when I did an Iceman and got myself aims and regularity. (but I still did
long hours :))

One thing you might find helps to make the 'Five Minute' bit work even
better is to incorporate it inside a regular practice if you can.  You will
have noticed that you warm up after something like 15 mins... try popping
it in at that time, not at the beginning, it will be that much more valuable.

Douglas t