Re: Jason Ricci and John Coltrane

In a message dated 6/20/04 9:18:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
garry@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
indeed.  after i saw him at the red bank river festival, i felt like
throwing my harps in the trash.  it seemed cruel to condemn them
to a life of my playing, knowing what they were capable of.

i mentioned this to my 14 year old daughter, and she pointed out
that since my harps weren't there with me, they would never know.
so i decided to keep them.

- ----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs
Hey Gary,

Don't feel bad , there was a time when Jason sucked just like the rest of us
losers. He just worked his ass off till he became a great player. What you see
in Jason is the product of dedication and work that spans over a decade. The
thing you should take from Jason is that if you put in the time and work, you
can come out at a pretty good level of playing. The thing that Jason really
stressed to me when I was taking lessons from him was to listen to as much music
as possible and also let myself develop at a level that was suitable for me.
I think it was great advice and definite reasons not to pitch your harps.

Keep the faith,

Andrew