Musician's Union?

I've got a few questions regarding joining the AFM. Are the requirements the=
=20
same in every city? Are you required to sight read music? Is there a test? I=
s=20
it always a requirement to belong to the union if you intend to be part of a=
=20
legitimate recording project, or does that vary? Should you try to avoid it?=
=20
Pardon my naivet=E9, but this seemed like a good place to start asking quest=
ions.=20
If you've got AFM experience I'd appreciate any info you could share on the=20
list.

Thanks in advance,

T. Albanese