Re: Song For My Father

On Jun 15, 2004, at 10:19 AM, Mitchell Weiss wrote:

> A while back Smojoe mentioned the tune Song For My Father and pointed
> out
> that if you weren't playing the 16th note triplets in the head you were
> playing it incorrectly.  That got me thinking and I recalled playing
> this
> tune a couple of times with a pick up band 10 years ago and sure
> enough I
> wasn't playing it as written.  I had thought of the tune as quite
> simple
> back then but when I got out my Real Book and tried to play it
> right...I
> found out it was actually a bit of a challenge to get those triplets
> going,
> especially in the key of F as it was written(using my key of C CX-10).
> very nice poignant and bluesy piece for harmonica.  Smojoe, thanks for
> showing the way on this tune.  It sounds like you've been through some
> very
> rough times in your life, I'd like to dedicate this tune to you.

>   You can
> find it at   http://www.ampcast.com/mitchweiss
>
> Mitch Weiss

  Dear Mitch, I was reading along and when I got to the dedication part,
I was deeply touched. To think that someone of your stature would have
remembered something I wrote. Yes, I had heard some of your stuff in
the past, and a check with my "spies" reveals that you are highly
thought of. I ALSO feel the same, and if I could even "shine your
shoes", I would consider it an honor. Personal message will follow
(after I can get myself to swallow). ....Smo (formerly E93rd & 2nd Av.)