Re: Standardizing Skill Levels

On Jun 11, 2004, at 12:58 PM, Douglas Tate wrote:

> I concur!

  You're only being nice because you feel sorry for me :(

> Writing a starters's book is a VERY difficult task.

  THAT makes sense. The first grade teacher has to teach you to read
from " O ". The second grade teacher has a FOUNDATION to build on. I
was lucky. My older sisters taught me to read when I was 3. I guess you
could refer to them as a "standardized study plan" yuk yuk. By rights,
the teachers should have turned over MY share of the pay they were
receiving to teach me to my sisters.

>   I've been trying to do it for years and can't make it so that you
> can leave an average person in front of it and they don't use it as
> bookshelf filler.  Writing an advanced book is a doddle.
>
> I'll use a Joelike analogy.
> Remember shift stick autos?? Ah, age has it's advantages!!  If you
> tell an experienced driver of a shift stick car how to turn on the
> radio when he doesn't know, he'll find it easy... he's got so much
> automatic car driving skills under his belt that he is on autopilot
> with them and only has one extra thing to do.
> I remember my first lesson starting from the side of the road...
> believe me, you had to do all of these things in England.
> Left foot Firmly on clutch pedal, Right foot Firmly on brake. Right
> and left hands at 10 to 2 on the wheel, looking straight ahead whilst
> looking in the rearview mirror and the right and left wing mirrors,
> the other right hand (UK remember) signalling out the window, the
> other left hand on the gear shift, the other right foot on the
> accelerator.  Oh and listening to your instructor whittering away in
> your ear.

  We (once) did it the same way here. But it's 2004 and why "Row"
through traffic? :)

>   I ran into a ditch first time out!

  Try a bulldozer (no wheel). Hey, try a boat. THEY steer from the
stern. THAT can get tricky :)