Re: Standardizing...Going to Spah etc

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "BassHarp" <bassharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Rob Paparozzi gave a great dissertation on his thoughts regarding a more
> organized program of instruction be offered in the chord and bass
> harmonicas, in addition to diatonic and chromatic models. I have long
> been of this same opinion, so a number of months ago I wrote a letter to
> Hohner, offering the Dave McKelvy Harmonica Trio as an "official"
>snip>
> I was of the opinion that Hohner might be interested in boosting their
> sales of such orchestral models, and what better way to do so?
> I was very disappointed that as time went by, I received neither a
> "thanks, but no thanks" response, but not even a response of any kind
> from anyone at Hohner.

Just Plain Foolish! I can't think of a BETTER way to promote Harmonica in
stores, schools and trade show!!
Excellent idea, and The DM trio would be perfect ambassadors for us!!

> And for anyone interested in buying a chord or bass, my suggestion is to
> locate one of an older vintage - 15 or 20 years or even older, if you
> want a good quality instrument. An older model in need of repair will be
> far superior to a brand new instrument. Sad but true.

I agree Danny, I did a session yesterday on Bass Harmonica ( a Rap remake of
the  Quincy's "Sanford & Son" theme) that featured the great Tommy Morgan. I
brought two Bass Harps to the session one new and one older one I bought in
the early 80's to use in "Big River" on Broadway.

Guess which one I used on the session?? yup, the newer one just didn't cut
it and was "stiff" and "thin" sounding.
     Once, I had to borrow the late Don Brook's Bass harp from his locker to
play in the show and his (was a 60's) axe, the thing was SOOOOOO EZ to play
and had a huge tone!!