Re: twin reverb

Hi Gordon,
The 1972 Twins are among the silver faced Twins and as a rule, they're not
held in high esteem by anyone, and they are very heavy amps to lug around at
about 85lbs. a pop. The better Twin Reverbs are the black faced ones made
from 1964-68, the pre-CBS ones, and I find it ironic when the silver faced
stuff is considered vintage, since the whole vintage amp market came about
because of the silver faced amps. They're really loud at about 85-100 watts,
but they really hyave to be cranked to get the best sound out of them, and
the most harp friendly part of these was the channel without the effects.
It's an amp you'd want to have roadies for at the end of the night as it was
a back breaker. Unless you're planning to play a lot of large venues at a
high volume and don't mind the weight of these amps, I'd stay away from
them.

I had a black faced preCBS '65 Twin Reverb in the mid 70's that had Electro
Voice SRO's, and the magnets alone on each speaker was 15lbs, so the amp was
now over 100lbs, and it could quickly be a feedback problem, and I hated it
at the end of the night as it was a heavy SOB to lug around, even with
removeable casters on it. Magic Dick in his days with J. Geils Band playing
very large venues used 3 of these monsters, plus two sets of columns each
with 4 of these speakers, so this should tell you how loud it is.

The black faced version of this amp is the more harp friendly version,
especially the ones with the original Jensen C12Q's as original equipment.
Most Celestion 12's aren't usually harp friendly speakers.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA