Re: overblow question

In a message dated 6/9/2004 9:27:11 PM Central Standard Time,
jpl_pagan@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<<correct me if i'm wrong, but unlike with regular
bends, one cannot "slide" into an overblow, correct?
in other words, i can go smoothly from the G in 2 draw
to the F# then to the F, all in one continuous motion.
i cannot, however, go from the G in blow 6,
overblowing smoothly through the Ab and A to get to
the Bb overblow.    true?>>

True. But with practice you can fake it. Try a glissando run up from the 6
blow G, to Ab (6 draw 1/2 step bend) to A (6 draw) to Bb (6 overblow). The
blow/draw transition is almost impossible to do seemlessly, but slur this glissando
very smoothly and quickly and it almost sounds like one continuous sliding
bend up from G to Bb. You can even hit the 6 OB a little flat so it's closer to
A than Bb and bend it up to Bb and even to B. This is not easy stuff to do but
it can be done. I've heard players on this list who can fool your ears with
overblow stuff.

T. Albanese