Re: Standardizing Skill Levels

  I wasn't going to get involved in the subject because I have written
about it countless times, and I fear I wasn't understood.

I am leaving spaces so that anyone who wants to hack, can insert their
thoughts at will.

Not that I could (or should) ever interpret what Paul Farmer (for whom
I have more respect than anyone I have never met) is saying here, but I
will put MY slant on it.

"One should have a plan"

I have built a few boats and always used a plan. While I DO draw them
myself, they are nonetheless a plan. While there are boats made in the
Bahamas (and elsewhere) strictly by "Eye", as water craft get more
involved, a plan is a necessity. I used to live in a Dutch Colonial
home which was built before WWI. I don't think they used a plan. And it
showed. I think they just went along and threw the home together the
way they saw fit.

While this is possible, it's not advisable. Also, it takes many years
and a lot of skill to pull this off.(Similar to the harmonica situation
today). A relatively inexperienced carpenter (however) can EASILY do it
IF he uses a plan.

Just like a home, music should have a "foundation". But Joe, you say, a
boat doesn't have a foundation. WRONG, it's hull is it's foundation,
and if it's wrong, you're in trouble. Well, you say, a home down in the
swamp (on stilts) has no foundation. Wrong again, the posts are the
foundation.

  I have tried other instruments and found that the instructional
material is basically all the same. This is because someone started the
ball rolling and every writer after that just added to the alloy. After
many years, the original material (fine in it's day) has been altered
to suit new discoveries, BUT the lesson plans are still UNIFORM
throughout the instruments sphere of influence. example "Belwin
Clarinet Method"

All guitar plans are the same, all trumpet, all clarinet, all
accordion, and so on. Now. here's the SCAREY part. Even different
instruments start with the SAME basics, and only branch off when the
need is to suit the particular instrument.

Several years ago I wrote about the Pagannini and Van Cliburn
competitions
(violin &piano), whereas several dozen NOBODIES will show up. They are
ALL virtuosos and would clean ANY harmonica players clock. The idea of
the competition is to get RECOGNIZED. It's a sort of "coming-out"
event. If they win or place highly enough, they could land a concert
tour/recording contract. It's a starting point.

  Now, it isn't necessary to get this involved. One could relegate
themselves to being a "lounge-lizard"and play hotel  piano bars for
their Zloties. I know a woman who is a stupendous player and plays 5
nights a week at a restaurant (for 28 yrs). That's YEARS folks..not
weeks.  As for expressiveness, I know of no lesson plan which forbids
this. YES, they DO want you to follow the plan "as-is" but as you
progress, THAT's when you're allowed to "Reach out" more and more. I
see all the little notations like mezzo-forte,pianissimo,piccolo ma non
tropo. Don't tell me that formal lesson plans stiffle creativity.
Creativity enters at a DEFINITE level. The level you have reached where
you know what the hell you are doing in the FIRST place.

  It's all up to the individual. But I feel a good foundation is the way
to go. THIS is what Paul is saying.

NOW, I'm either gong to become the most vilefied person on the list OR
it will finally sink in. The reason harmonica doesn't have a PLAN is
because until now no one has given a shit what happens to OTHER
harmonica players. Other instruments find it in their best interest to
PROMOTE their instrument and keep it alive. This generates constant
business. Business generates a need. Need generates use. Use generates
interest..Voila..new converts and students. Perpetuoso perpetuum.

No one has come forward and given an incentive to any harmonica player
that I know of to START. Harmonica players (themselves) are busy making
a living and aren't going to stop everything and write a book.  Maybe
there's no money in it, I don't know.

IF someone HAD (years ago) laid down a lesson plan for harmonica, by
NOW it would have  been honed, preened, cultivated, and just like
toothpate....become "New & Improved". Unfortunately, no one started the
ball rolling.

Ya'know what, I'm gonna quit now because (frankly) what do 'I' care
wether anyone else can play or not?

smo-joe