Fwd: SBS Marine Band question

Grant -

You can punch out a little dome in the cover at the spot where the
reed hits. Figure out from the length of the reed slot and the upward
swing of the reed roughly where it hits the inside of the cover. Then
take a hammer and a steel punch with a tip about 1/8 inch in diameter
and hammer out a little dome in that spot. Hammer from the inside of
the cover outward, with the cover laid on something like a piece of
soft wood, or over a hollowed-out spot in the wood. You don;t need
much extra clearance, maybe 1/16 of an inch.

You can also get into the subtle art of re-bending covers, but this
is, for me at least, easier.

Winslow

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Grant Kester <gkester@xxxx>
wrote:

Dear List,

I have a C Steve Baker Marine Band and the lowest draw note
consistently vibrates against the metal cover, making a plinking
sound.
Does anyone have any good fixes for this problem? The reed is gapped
correctly and I'm reluctant to reduce the gap further. If it was a
normal sized Marine Band I could try a Turbolid, but it's an SBS so
it's extra long.

Thanks,
Grant Kester

- --- End forwarded message ---