Standardizing Skills Levels

> I think there's room on the planet for the tutored AND the
> home-grown, the scholarly and the rough and ready.
I heartily agree! In my own field, jazz, the music colleges are churning out vast
quantities of highly competent musicians, and yet the number out there playing who are
really worth listening to, who have something to say, is no greater than in the 1950s,
when jazz was not a recognized subject.

There's no reason why home-grown players shouldn't be as scholarly as the
professionals, all it takes is curiosity and willingness to study.

- -Keith