Re: Standardizing Skill Levels

So what I get from this thread is that the harmonica seems to not have
established the formal skill levels that many other instruments, such as the
clarinet, have. I guess the reason for such established skill levels is so that
progress towards mastery can be gauged. Gauged by whom? One's self, one's
teacher/professor, class, recital judges, colleagues (i.e., competition) and so forth.
Well I think that when it comes down to it, it's the audience who matters
most. For serious listening audience members who go by their senses and emotions
when they "judge" musicality, I doubt if formal skill levels matter much.
Here's what counts for me as an audience member when I listen to music of any kind.
I need to sense (not necessarily in this order), 1. soul and feeling
(subjective), 2. the player's ability to sincerely communicate creative, thematic
musical ideas (in a word, phrasing), 3. technical prowess (agility, articulation,
a good range of color and tonality, etc.). And finally, is the audience moved,
stimulated, fascinated, intrigued, compelled to listen further? If it's a
savvy audience and you've achieved any of those criteria then you have reached a
skill level to be pleased with. Something to strive for.

T. Albanese