Re: '59 Fender Bassman & RI - Why?

In a message dated 08-Jun-04 10:58:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
jimbeauharp@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> But I'm still glad I have my Bassman, even though I curse its weight every
> time I use it.
>
> Sorry, no help to answering Ray's questions about the origins of the
> Bassman's rep as a harp amp standout. Most likely, most such stories are
> going to be apocryphal anyway, but still fun to read.
>
> Jimbeau

The earliest use of a bassman I had noticed was Cotton playing through one
with Muddy at Newport 1960. I am sure he saw  others(Walter,etc.) use them. It
really is a logical extension for playing with a louder band, lots of headroom.
I also love the sound of 10" speakers for guitar and harmonica. I am am not
saying i dislike 12,8, or 15" speakers, just that for overall applications 10"
speakers are my preference. I have a 59' bassman, a RI, a 61' concert, and a
hotrod deville(4X10"). But i have used in the studio a 52' LP GA-40T amp(1X12)
and a GA-45 Maestro(4X8). I will also say that the 15" speaker is really
overlooked as a great harp/guitar sound. I have a few pros and a Magnatone M-9
which sounds great for harp.
HB