Re: Standardizing Skill Levels

Yes! I think it's going to be interesting!

Meanwhile, it is pretty much difficult to determinate what is a good skill level and what is not.
Sonny Terry had not clue about overbends, and He still was a terrific harp player.
And I know some harp players, able to play in all position with one harp, but a monkey would sound better than 'em. They do not have any tone, any taste. But all of that, I think, is very subjective.
The matter of good or bad taste depends of many things.
Some people, in my area, have reputation to be very good at harmonica or whatever instrument... but they also are world champion at Gussing!
So, when they come to take over the stage, you can decently not say that they are good players.

what I want to explain is that if we try to define players skills level, we have to think about everything: technic, but tone also: a player without a tone is not a musician, and variety and taste and blah blah blah...
Also think about the audiance and the popularity of the guy: he/she be a medium (technically meaning) player but an amazing performer on stage: I am thinking about Keith Dunn. He does not play overbends, his playing seems to be simple and easy to do. But Keith is a terrific performer. Then, play the same notes as him is not a big deal, but to play it the way he does it, with all that soul and feeling, is a very tough job!

froggy

Wil V's post got me to thinking. This could evolve into an interesting
thread. Why don't we all list what we think should be criteria for each
level. My approach is to break it down to three categories, Physical,
Musical, and Tehcnique. Here is a first cut.

Beginner:
physical criteria- embouchure decision, holding, basic breathing
musical criteria- 1st position scale, 2nd position scale
technique criteria- single note, chords, bent notes, vibrato, acoustic
focus

Intermediate:
physical criteria- embouchure enhancement, enhanced breathing, holding
a mic, amplified playing
musical criteria- 3rd position scale, I,IV,V progression
technique criteria- shakes, shimmers, flutters, articulation, double
stops, enhanced vibrato, octaves, hand action.

Advanced:
physical criteria- integrated embouchures, circular breathing,
musical criteria- multiple scales in positions above 3rd, counterpoint
technique criteria- over blows, over draws

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com

Créez votre Yahoo! Mail