Re: mic question

Hi Steve,
First of all, you've gotta remember that ANY harp mic like a JT30, GB, etc.,
is going to have a signal strength about 50 times more powerful than a
guitar signal is going to be, so where the volume of the harp mic on 3 is
the equivalent of the guitar signal at 6-7 on the amp. Better quality cords
won't necessarily eliminate feedback, but will have a better sound quality
and usually will be far more durable than a cheap cord. So what does this
come down to? Your tone settings, and with harp mics, the treble has to be
turned WAY down, and with this amp, like a 4-10 Bassman, using this mic,
best advice is to TOTALLY roll the treble off. I strongly advise you to NOT
use the master volume control on the amp and when you turn the master volume
on the amp all the way up, it completely negates the circuit. If the amp
also has a Fat switch, be sure to turn this off also because for harp it
kicks the gain up so high, feedback never stops, and this control is
designed for guitaer use and NOT harp use. The other tone controls you'll
have to set to taste. Of you have a crystal element in the mic, don't expect
it to be turned up beyond 3-4 before feedback, as that's the nature of the
beast to begin with, and also if your mic comes with a volume control on it,
use it when the feedback occurs.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA