Re: Yet Another Juke Question[long reply]

Alright, now I'm a bit curious and this applies pretty much to blues
harp guys.  How many of you folks are playing these songs note for note
and how many are keeping it loose.  Myself, I never play the same thing
twice.  Years ago I learned a few songs like this, but by now it's just
part of the stew.  A lot has to do with interacting with the other
players, especially the singer.  We might work out intro's or endings,
but for the most part it's spontanious.  If I play the same thing for a
long time with the same folks, I might sort of lock into some "stock"
phrases or such.

Anyway, I can't imagine LW playing a charted arrangement.  Was he even
known to read music?  I personally never learned to read harp tabs, but
by now I can pick up most stuff by ear which works out pretty good for me.

What do you prefer hearing when you go out to hear bands.  "The" harp
part, or the harp player?

Howard Chandler