Re :Line Out Wiring (no harp content)

Dear Tim :

Good question and not out of line out wiring harp content ( I just couldn't resist myself :)

Best bet is to take your  " prized amp " to a real tech  and not a butcher and say you want a instrument line out so you can go direct to a P.A. line in or If you may ask for a low HZ out  with an XLR out , you will get  the really best choice using a XLR low HZ output because the cable you run on a low HZ will never be an issue ( noise in the cable itseld gathered from outside sources in its legnth if it is long ) compared to a high HZ balance or unbalanced line out connection .

Both will work , but just as you get a better sound off a low HZ mic and it's cable , the same is the issue for any sound signal traveling through a potential noise making environment like what floresant light ballast or air conditioner motors introduce to line level cable runs for example when they excede 15 feet or more with their static charge floating in the air and the ground loop return in the electric circuit that everything electric is tied too once plugged into the eletrical grid .

One other important thing is the amp your using .

If it is a noisy old timy baby tube or a solid state , the justifying factor is just how clean an amp you have to begin with ( the THD thang again ; T = Total H = Harmonic D = Distortion) .

If you go the tech way and ask a tech , he should have the knowledge , equipment and the intergrity to tell you if it is better or not compared to the next way to skin the proverbial cat , do what he recomends once he " scopes " your amp   and does a little analysis of his own if you think he makes sense to you and your budget .

Next is to get a " D.I. Box "  and plug the speaker out from your amp and the the D.I. box speaker out put back to your speaker .

The D.I. box will have ( depending on what yo spend ) the assorted line level signal outputs . The issue of a D.I. box compared to the line out a tech installs will be this basis one if done correctly , that the line out instalded properly  will have a fixed gain , and the D.I. will not have a fixed gain level ( some offer a choice of both but  the price relects this issue ) .

Google has over 38,000 possible websites that can show you these D.I. Box's :)

Good Luck .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

aka :