Re: practice makes perfect.......mmmm

I guess everyone is different when it comes to learning but this is how
I learned how to learn to play too, about 35 years ago.  I wonder if
things might be different if I were to start today.  Back then, there
was no internet and so, if they existed back then, I was not aware of
such things as jam camps, instructional videos, harp tablature, harp
customizers etc.  All I had was the paper that came in the marine band
box with "Oh Susanah" or some such.  I learned the term "cross harp" to
describe playing an F harp for a C  song watching TV.  I think it was
John Sebastion on Mike Douglas.  I had already discovered this
independenly by learning stuff off of records, and then getting friends
to play it on guitar.  I learned third position the same way, but never
really knew what it was called until reading about it on this list.  I
still use this learning technique today for harp and guitar.  Usually,
at this point I can get the changes without too much effort.  I'll take
some time working on particular phrases though if it's something I think
is cool.  I'm a diatonic player, and find I can eventually play about
whatever I hear other diatonic players playing unless it's one of those
gol dang overblowers or a speed demon.  Since I don't play nearly as
much as I used to, I find my speed and lung capacity are not what they
used to be so now I go more for tone and tune rather than licks and speed.