re: mic elements

Theory and specs won't tell you what the mic sounds like.

Find a place that sells mics. Take your amp. Try an Astatic with a ceramic
element and try a Shure Green bullet. Then try a couple of vocal mics the SM 57
and 58 are always good choices.

An 80s green bullet through a tweed champ is a lovely sound.

A Shure Unisphere through a blackface Pro Reverb is also real nice-cleaner.

Some folks like an on/off switch. Some folks like a volume switch. I like the
Green Bullet because I can drop it six feet onto a hardwood floor and it will
still keep playing fine.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm