Re: CR Mics

Hi Robb:
   Elements can be repaired, depending on what's busted. I've saved quite a few from the junk pile.
   With the tape off the back of the element look at the posts to which the leads are soldered.Are the guides above & below the tranny (yellow tape) melted where the posts pass through? The heat or added motion of the posts may have broken one of the leads out of the tranny to the posts. There's two very small wires that come out of the bottom (usually) or top of the tranny right under the post guides and are soldered to the posts. Sometimes they are wrapped several times around the post. A break in one of these leads is hard to detect and fix (usually old, oxidized, and brittle), but not impossible. Just hope that the wire, if broken, did not break inside the tranny. At the bottom of the posts where they loop, are the tensioners and spacers intact.
   CR/CM elements are a type of dynamic elememt (not moving coil type). An armature is connected to the center of the diaphragm (at the small metal disc) and to the magnetized plate around which the tranny is wound (you can see this point right under the tranny and above the magnet). Sometimes one or both of these points can become loose causing low or no output. Sometimes a carefully applied drop of super glue or epoxy at these points works. (BTW the only physical difference I've ever noticed between CMs and CRs is the way this armature is attched to the diaphragm. CMs have the "resin blob" while CRs have the little metal disc)
   Is there any damage (dents/depressions) to the face of the element or debris under it? This could impede the movement of the diaphragm, lowing output or causing the "farting element syndrome." If the face is touching the diaphragm, with a small sturdy tool, carefully lift or pry it off the diaphragm. Carefully remove any debris...pieces of old gasket, wire, bits of solder, etc.
   Are the four screws at the back secure?
   Does the output increase when you hold a magnet to the front or back? Sometimes switching out magnets works in this case.
   That's all off the top of my head. Good luck. If you need help, holler.

Tim Norris

Robb Bingham <robbingham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mic Gurus [or even tinkerers]! Please help!?
<snip>
IS THERE ANY way to undo the harm I?ve done? <snip>                                  Is there anything I can do to salvage these puppies???

Many thanks,
Robb

Do you Yahoo!?