Re: SM 58 Question

In a message dated 7/20/04 7:52:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I went through a bunch of mic in the past few weeks.  I noticed
little to no difference in the SM 58/58B The 58B seems to run hotter.
I used the SM57 for awhile and thought that sounded good.  Then I dug
out my Sennheiser 441.  Nothing beats that for capturing the acoustic
harmonica sounds.  The 441 makes the shures sound like mud.  I also
had very good results with the Shure SM81 but that picked up too much
breathing.
Indeed,

When I started gigging I went through a Shure 57 and settled for a Sennheiser
e835 when I found one for $40 used. I have run a number of other mics
acoustically (Shure 58, Samson R11, Shure 57) and found the Sennheiser to be the best
sounding out of all them. I will say for an acoustic mic it certain captures
the lower mids better than any acoustic I have used so far. A Shure 58 is a
great acoustic mic, but I believe it is better for vocals than harp (it tends to
accent the upper mids and highs a bit much). The Sennheiser tends to be a bit
kinder in my opinion to harmonica and accents the bottom mids much better
than other acoustic mics which I have used. Shop around and try out a bunch of
different mics and find the one which suits you.

Andrew