Clark Congaree Harp Amp

First things first, I have no financial nor professional relationship
with Michael Clark nor with Clark Amplification.  But recent and ongoing
discussions of re-voicing/modding vintage amps for harp, or buying a
ground-up dedicated harp amp have left out what I would consider to
be a serious gigging tone machine; The Clark Congaree Harp Amp.

Here's the rap from their site:

"Congaree Harp Amplifier In response to demand I have designed a
amplifier for the harp player. Designed from the input to the speaker
selection. This amp is not a converted guitar amp, it is specifically
designed for the harp player. This amp features two 5881's running in
85% class "A" cathode biased at 40 watts. It utilizes a 5U4 for sag and
feel. It features a two 12AY7, and a 12AX7 in the preamp. Bass, Middle,
Treble, Presence controls. It features an input set up for crystal mics
and one for dynamic or lower impedance mics. It is constructed in a
solid pine cabinet with a semi floating baffle board. Covered in our
aged tweed. The speaker choice is (2) special design ceramic and two
special design Alnico ten inch speakers for a wall of sound and a solid
low end with a very responsive vocal mid range. "

Mike Clark has had a well-established and well-earned name in the
custom amp field for a number of years.
Mike Fore worked with him to design and build the Congaree as a
dedicated harp amp.

I had mine fitted with their on-board attenuator that allows me to dial
in a 3, 6, or 9 db cut between
the amp and the speakers (or bypass the cut entirely).  I use the
following mics with great success
on this amp:  vintage GB with CM, vintage GB with CR,  vintage and
newer hotrodded crystal Astatic JT-30s,
a vintage Turner brown-fin bullet with crystal, a vintage Shure 720, a
vintage Shure 730 Commando,
and even a Microvox mini-condenser.  I play straight into the bright &
normal inputs, as well as
through a volume pedal & a modded Danecho.  I've also used a PODxt set
to tube preamp or on bypass
and made use of their various delay pedal options.  It's all good, but
it's best when unadulterated
and just let loose to drive.

It's a gorgeous amp, road-worthy, and for the past year it's been an
absolute pleasure to play.

Mike's production is limited and the amp is not always available for
ordering.
My post tonight was prompted, in part, because I noticed that the amp
appears
to be back in limited production.

Mike does not endorse players, doesn't cut deals, and he damn sure
doesn't cut any corners.
If you've been thinking of making an investment in your stage kit,
you should check this amp out.  You'd need a pry bar, a loaded .357 &
the element of surprise
to separate me from mine.

- -wjj