Re: Preamp tube substitutions

I agree with you, Jim. Especially when you say:

> Lower powered tubes removed all the features of tone that led me to buy the
> Twin in the first place.

Yes, it seems that lowering the gain via preamp tube subs in an attempt to
control feedback sucks the tone right out of the amp and negatively alters
the character of the amp. The only "change" I make in preamp tube subs is to
last two large amps I've owned, that means changing V1 preamp from 12AX7 to
12AY7. I don't consider that a tube substitution, but rather recognizing
what the original circuit called for, and appreciating the intent of that
circuit.

Feedback is an acoustic problem. It doesn't matter WHAT kind of gain change
you make...the output at the speaker looping back to the mic or vice versa
has nothing to do with what preamp tubes value you've chosen. Once you reach
a certain volume level, feedback will occur.

I'm not concerned that you're only at 2.5 or 3 on the clock. If you have
proper technique and resonance, you're able to have quite good tone at that
seemingly low knob position.

I have to agree with you on small amps, too. One of the nice features of my
new amp is that it has 2 separate preamp channels. Separate in that they
have their own dedicated preamp tubes. And each channel has two inputs, so
I'm covered as far as volume goes. I attended a semi-acoustic jam recently,
and played through the lower gain channel in the softer number 2 input for a
lower volume. Worked great.

This amp is unique to my experience in that it is capable of accepting
higher than originally intended preamp tube values and is still usable for
harp. So in the bright channel, I'm actually using a preamp tube that has a
higher mu factor than the one in the normal channel. I'll use the higher
gain channel whenever I need the extra volume, or possibly when playing
chromatic.

Thanks for your post, Jim.

Ray.
- --