Thanks for the advice (Newbie questions)

Wow! I'm really overwhelmed by the many long and thoughtful
replies to my questions. Thanks a million!

So, on the basis of what I've learned, here is what I'm going
to do...

1. For the present: learn the solo layout. It's what I've got,
almost everybody has played it at least a little while, there's
a lot of ready-made repertoire in the form of transcriptions,
and some basic fluidity of breath, slide, and hole changes can
be acquired in this layout as well as any. No need for the
immediate future to hone my tuning skills or spend more money
on harps. I can visualize the solo layout as a kind of piano
keyboard with some extra keys thrown in. I think that before
long, I'll develop a solid feel for where all the notes are.
I won't work too much on playing in all keys, but will
concentrate on keys that are easiest, recognizing and using
the "bias" of the solo layout.

2. Eventually, once I have some basic technique, I'd like to
get another harp and try one of the symmetrical layouts,
probably diminished. The bebop and altered C6 bebop layouts
that I was considering still seem to me to offer technical
advantages over a straight solo layout, but if I'm going to
muck around with tunings, I may as well go all the way. I can
see where the diminished layour really facilitates playing
in all the keys, and that's my long-term goal.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

- -Peter