Re: The great divide...or divides?

Hi,

    This is an interesting thread for me. For me there seems to be two
""Great Divides".  The "lower divide" as well as the "upper divide".  In other
words, the first three holes to the "middle", and then the "middle" to the last
three holes. I know you can map them out with scales and exercises in order to
"bridge" the divides. That is probably the smart way to do it.

      In my experience I have  mostly been taught by taking a few lessons
(after years of self teaching) , and of course listening and playing along with
the old and new masters. By the way I am addressing blues and swing styles on
diatonic.

     The best way I seem to bridge these divides is sit alone and practice
without outside influences (ie Cds or instuction sheets). I then run up and down
the length of the harp using various rythums and moods. Tougue blocking and
pursing scales and various licks. Then I try various melodies in diferent
octaves. The bridges start to form and the divides narrow. I guess some people
might call this woodshedding. I find it very rewarding when I have the time to do
it. The harp and me get real personel.

                                      Hope this helps,

                                                  Chris Mastakas