(Was: Sonny Jr Post)

   Dear list,

   After the "man" himself, aka Gary Onofrio, made his case for his new
4x10 Bassman (at over $2.000,00 a pop!), here are a few (cheap) things
one can do on a Bassmann RI in order to get it more harp friendly:

   Gary wrote:
   After the end of the SJ 2 line, I had gained a lot of knowledge in
tube substitutions, why tubes do what they do in certain positions,
transformers, speakers, the little ins and outs of modding for harp.
   Here's a tube  set-up I experimented with great success . Amp gives
me a lot of crunch and has good attack:
   1st - 12AY7 (NOS GE 6072 - Black plate)
   2nd - 12AX7 (NOS Telefunken)- Make shure you have a "real" 12AX7 and
not a 12AX7A
   3rd - 12AU7 (NOS Sylvania)
   4-5 - 6L6GB (NOS JAN Sylvania)
   6th - 5U4GB (NOS Mullard)

   I also tried some circuit changes:
   Change R38 (4.7k) with 10 k/1W. This mod reduces voltage on V1 and
V2. Change R17 (slope resistor) 100k with 56 k/1/2W. This mod  tends to
give more presence to the bass.

   Gary also wrote:
   Then, after having a few custom amps built by a fellow in California
named Bill Odell, I was turned onto these NOS Astron paper oil
capacitors by him. So we can have lengthy discussions about caps, poly
versus paper oil, but you know what, I know what I hear, Bird Stafford
and many other original bassman guys that sent me their amps that other
companies that use orange drops killed, and these do make a world of
difference. So I bought up every one I could get my hands on, from two
different old time radio supply houses, and said, if I am going to do
this, I want total control of what goes in it.

   NOS oil capacitors are widely available on eBay, should you wanna
swap caps. Look for Astrons, Cornell-Dubliers, Gudemans, Pyramids and
Spragues...
   Regards. Sunnyside.