Re: recommended tuner?

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "david j. brown" <nonidesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: recommended tuner?

> I am getting tired of using my ear to tune reeds.
> Any recommendations for a cheap (but good) electric tuner?

Hi David,
No matter how good any tuner is, the bottom line is that you STILL need your
ears for the final fine tuning, especially when doing octaves, and just
intonation, and how hard/soft you play the notes/chords, the inside shape of
your mouth as you do it still colors things, and that's still the reality of
tuning. What it boils down to is that you can't TOTALLY rely on a tuner, but
they are an important guide to get you in the ball park, and tuners aren't
foolproof regardless of the brand/price range with the sole exception being
a strobe tuner, but again, you still need your ears.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com