Re: Pitch, XB-40 & whatever - was: XB40 retuning

>Despite my own fondness for Just Intonation, I can't think of anything
>more boring to play each and every note with the same fixed value,
>however "perfectly tuned" those values might be. Expressiveness for me
>involves deliberately moving towards and away from those points of
>maximum consonance to introduce tension and relaxation.
>
>  -- Pat

It doesn't really matter in this particular debate whether you're a
"supporter" of Just, equal or "something in-between" (and, believe it or
not, and I've said it before, I CAN hear what's not quite right about 12tET
- - it's just that everyone I play with uses one of those tuners that gives
equal as default, so I breathe the polluted air!  I also play melodies with
single notes in several positions - modes -  on the same harp in medleys).
Whatever tuning you have consciously or unconsciously chosen - the latter in
most cases I suspect - when it comes to such a flexible instrument as the
harmonica, it's just somewhere to hang your expressive hat.  We'll be judged
on the music we make.

Steve

.Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica